The Only place in Uganda that is home to one of the big five, the rhino. Not just any other giant but the second largest of the land animals, the Southern White Rhino. Additionally, Ziwa sanctuary is home to at least 40 mammal and reptilian species. They include monkey, antelope, hippopotamus and crocodile. At the sanctuary you can enjoy birding, canoe rides and nature walks. Other than the rhino track, look forward to ‘a faceoff’ with the beautiful archaic looking shoebill.
Day 1 – Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary
You will be met by our wonderful Tour Guide from the airport or your Booked hotel. Depart in a customised pop-top safari minibus/ 4×4 Land-cruiser. Arrive at Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary around midday. Check in to your accommodation and enjoy a leisurely lunch.
At around 2pm you will set off for your Rhino tracking with an experienced Rhino Fund Uganda ranger. The total tracking time will vary according to where the rhinos are currently situated within the sanctuary but you will be able to enjoy an hour in the close vicinity of the rhinos once found. After you have finished tracking you will return to your accommodation, where dinner will be served.
Day 2 – Bird watching ShoeBill stork
Early Morning at 6:00 One of the most sought after birds in Uganda is the Shoebill Stork. Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary affords a rare opportunity to observe these prehistoric looking birds which nest within their wetland. Water birds are plentiful and this early morning canoe safari is a must for anyone who loves nature or is interested in birding. Your canoe trip should take between 3 to 4 hours.
12.00 Enjoy an early lunch before returning to Kampala. You should be back in Kampala by 16:00, depending on traffic conditions on the day.
- Park fees(For non-residents)
- All activities(Unless labeled as optional)
- All accommodation(Unless listed as upgrade)
- A professional driver/guide
- All transportation(Unless labeled as optional)
- All Taxes/VAT
- Roundtrip airport transfer
- Meals(As specified in the day-by-day section)
- Drinks(As specified in the day-by-day section)
- International flights(From/to home)
- Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour
- Personal items(Souvenirs, travel insurance, visa fees, etc.)
- Government imposed increase of taxes and/or park fees
Terms & Conditions
- Rates are per person and exclude the international flight from/to your home country.
- This tour must be paid in US Dollars (USD).